We were very relieved that our second scan went well and everything is as it should be. Perhaps from the pictures it’s clear that we’re having a boy! It is clearly time to add the correct buttons to the booties. As usual, I picked a different button for each bootie
Crochet is not something I find as easy as knitting, but there are so many lovely patterns out there I felt I had to learn. In April my husband and I found out I was pregnant! Obviously we’re excited for lots of reasons, but one of the reasons I’m excited is because I’m finally get to make knitted and crocheted things for my own baby. Whoop! I’ve crocheted a few little items for our baby. I found this blog which has great patterns and both booties and bib are patterns from this blog. They’re so bright and cheerful. Please check out RepeatCrafterMe.
These booties were the first crochet project for the baby. The buttons are meant to be sewn onto the side cuffs of both booties. At the time I made them I didn’t know whether they would need a blue or pink button. They didn’t take very long to make and I was able to use some wool leftovers instead of having to buy new wool. I always appreciate patterns which use up extra bits of wool.
This fantastic bib was the second crochet project from RepeatCrafterMe. Again, I was able to use some leftovers and I love the teeth hanging out of the monsters mouth! You can either use buttons for the eyes or crochet them. I made a second monster bib in different colours and crocheted the eyes for that one as I didn’t have any other black buttons.
I can’t enthuse enough about RepeatCrafterMe and I am really looking forward to using more of Sarah’s patterns.
Over 18 months ago, I embarked on a knitting project for my husband Rob. I realised that after years of knitting I hadn’t made even one item for him. He picked out the pattern and wool and away I went. Unfortunately, there were a few problems along the way. I worked out my tension but obviously didn’t get it quite right. I knit the entire back only to realise when I held it up against Rob’s back that alas, it was far too small. I adjusted tension and started again getting about a third of the way up. “Hmm…, I wonder if this is still too small,” I thought. It was. Rather disappointingly, I had to unravel the blasted thing again. Having finally worked out the correct tension for the third time I started again.
Alas, for months I got no further. I did not want to look at the jumper for awhile so I worked on other things and eventually got back to it, picking it up and putting it down. Finally, at the end of March I finally finished the jumper and to my great relief and satisfaction it actually fit! Whoop! Extra bonus points!
For those of you with an expert eye, you will be able to see that the sleeves pucker slightly where they are sewn to the shoulders. For some reason where I had to shape the top of the sleeve it seemed to take more rows to complete than it should have and as a result they didn’t quite fit the arm holes.
The pattern and wool were both Bergere de France.
I am the sort of knitter/crafter who always has a big project on the go. My big project for the last few months is a complex sweater I’m knitting for my husband. So when a little project pops up it refreshes me and gives me a little more enthusiasm. It’s nice to break up those big jobs with something simple to change the pace.
As I’ve mentioned many times before I subscribe to Mollie Makes magazine and every month a free gift usually in the form of a small project comes with it. I don’t often make these little projects as they aren’t something I am interested in or need. This month, however, I received the magazine on Thursday and by Saturday night I had made it!
Just back from a short break up to Whitby. Whilst there I found a lovely shop in an old church called ‘Bobbins’. A couple owns the shop and they have lots of fun wools to knit with. I saw this and had to have it. How could anyone refuse?
As you can see it has blobs of wools that are thicker than the rest. In order to make these stand out you use an alternative stocking stitch. This means that when you are knitting you purl with the blob and knit with the blob when you should be purling. The result makes it stand out more.
This colour is called Neopolitan but of course there are many more. This wool is a mixture with Bamboo, Wool and Acrylic and it knits pretty well although it can be difficult to keep your stitch size consistent. Working out if you have the correct tension is also a challenge, but worth it in the end!
I love Bergere de France! They come up with fantastic patterns that leave the old granny cardigans to shame! First article of evidence is this beautiful knitted dress:
Second article for evidence is this lovely cape.
As I always seem to be knitting things for everyone except my husband, a long while ago I started to knit a Berger de France men’s sweater. It is classed as an ‘expert’ knit. The back is very straight forward, but the front involves 4 different cables going on at the same time.
As you can see the cabling is fantastic but rather complex. It is worth it – my husband will look great wearing this, but until then, it’s taking a while. The other difficulty is that the whole thing is done on 3.5mm needles so it takes rather a long time to get anywhere. I will say the way Bergere organise their pattern instructions seems much more straight forward than most British patterns.
I still have the sleeves and neck to do, so it will still be awhile before it’s complete. It’s our 7th wedding anniversary this coming March and the traditional gift is wool – now I just have to get it done!